Saturday, March 22, 2014

And Minstelsy for All

The picture below is of a billboard I recently viewed in a different light. I have been told that the "screen names" of the radio personalities shown are from left to right essentially, "the good", "the bad", and "the ugly". I was told by a co-worker who is of Latin decent that the radio program advertised is cartoonish in its depiction of Latino archetypes and that some are embarrassed by it.



Although the recent reading entitled "Minstrel Politics Or "He Speaks Too Well:" Rhetoric, Race, And Resistance In The 2008 Presidential Campaign" is ultimately about how a legacy of minstrelsy is displayed in current politics I found it most interesting in how the same is displayed in popular culture. The pictured advertisement, and other cultural displays, show an example of a Latino equivalent to the Black minstrelsy described in the article and how it too survives today.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. And these type of advertisements just reinforce the stereotypes many people have of Latinos. So unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete