Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Word Choices by Media...

Two traumatic events have taken place within the week. The first is the disappearing plane and second the 2 killed and 20 inquired explosion in New York. In the disappearing plane article, 277 people were abroad the plane. I find the words that the media outlets choose to use as interesting (annoying too). "Disappeared" is used in the article title, when I read "disappeared" I feel like the media source is trying to soften the tragedy by not creating imagery. The word disappear gives me hope that maybe the plane reappears. If the title consisted of "Lost communication with Airplane, possible 277 passengers dead" I would feel more emotion. In the article for the New York explosion, the title clearly states 2 were killed and 20 injured. Accidents like the plane and explosion are absolutely tragic, I don't think media sources should make light of any situation. They should be clear that the world has lost 277 people due to a communication lose with a plane, just as they were clear that 2 individuals were killed in an explosion.  I don't want to be left out of the dark about what is going on and the media has done a great done making sure we don't know much about what's going on. It may not be with the "disappearing" plane but it's definitely an example.

I think this all relates back to what Brandon said in class earlier this week, (I believe it was Brandon) The government knows more than they tell us. Whether it be aliens or not, I think it's annoying that media will try to make light of certain situations. Whether it be 2 people killed or 277 people, we are humans and we've lost a significant number of people due to tragic events. I think they should be more clear. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great point! And you're right, "disappeared" doesn't elicit as much emotion as "dead" or "missing."

    ReplyDelete