Saturday, March 1, 2014

Governor Brown For One More Round

According to the New York Times, Governor Brown is seeking yet another term as Governor of California.  If elected, this will be the fourth term that Brown serves, as he first took office nearly 40 years ago. While the article does mention Brown’s two opponents, Neel Kashkari and Tim Donnelly, the mention of the two men is is only done so in passing, by simply stating their names and titles.

This article can be related to our reading on “How News Media Shape Political Campaigns.  The reading states that the news gives us Information, which in some cases can be edited, and we use that information to make decisions on things.  After reading this article, and not having much information on the Governor to begin with, I am left with positive feels about him, since the article mainly states positive things, such as the fact that he has brought the state from deficit to surplus, as well as that his approval ratings are at an all-time high.  The article also incorporates quotes from the Governor.  These quotes help build his image as a strong leader. Being that this is one of the only articles that I have read on the Governor, I admit that I am very much uninformed on his politics.  That said, my encounter with this article serves as the perfect example of how news media can shape political campaigns.  Although I would never let one article define my perception of a politician, there are many people out there who would.  In such cases, the shaping of political campaigns begin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/us/brown-to-run-for-re-election-as-california-governor.html

1 comment:

  1. Good point! I'm glad you can recognize that this is just one article. Another could portray him in such a different light. :)

    ReplyDelete