In the essay about the Guerrilla Girls, Demo discusses three
rhetorical strategies the group uses.
One of the strategies used was strategic juxtaposition. As stated in the essay, “groups use
juxtaposition to remoralize the social order by “placing conflicting
commitments of the system side by side.”
I fount this to be very interesting and I came across an article which
used this strategy in a different form from the Guerilla Girls group. While the group relied on opposing
pictures and statements, Alison Grimes used the “stark juxtaposition in age” to
boost her campaign. Grimes, 35-year-old
women ran against Senator McConnell and referred to home as the “senator of
yesterday. While many people
consider her to be young and inexperienced, she used this to her advantage, by
strategically inserting the contrast into her campaign. I for one buy into the
“senator of yesterday. “ I
believed the younger candidate would bee more in touch with the current needs
and wants of voters.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/03/24/grimes_pegs_mcconnell_as_senator_of_yesterday_122033.html
Interesting campaign! Could be risky, as some see being young as being inexperienced. I guess we'll see what happens! :)
ReplyDeleteNote: This week's post was supposed to be on your possible topics for your paper. Please get those to me ASAP.