In the Forbes article "Republican Using a Fake Websites To Trick Donors Is Just The Start," both political parties are called out for using misleading websites in order to get donations from supporters of the opposite party. Although the Republican Party is mainly focused on in this article, they also recognize that Democrats use similar tactics. The main tactic that this article brings light to is the Republican party purchasing and setting up websites that look like it is a site of their opponents to lure supporters who want to donate. There are many other tactics talked about in this article, but they all come down to one idea. Both parties use social media and the internet for immoral and sleazy tactics.
My first impression after reading this is that I am very surprised that this is legal. Secondly, this article reminded me of the reading "Its Complicated." Although the consensus of the study was that social media having political aspects did not make the younger generation more prone to be involved in outside politics, I believe that internet tactics like the ones mentioned in the Forbes article will have very negative affects on future voters. Websites and pages that have faulty and misleading content have the potential to deter the younger internet generation. Instead of supporting the fact that some are using social media to share politics, they are trashing the great potential internet politics could possibly hold. I know I personally would not trust giving any of my money to a cause such as this, for fear of being tricked, and I believe other Americans could possibly start to feel the same.
Original Article
Oh, I want to hear more about this! I'm going to bring this up on Wednesday because that's the day the "It's Complicated" article is due.
ReplyDelete