Last week Florida's Representative, Trey Radel who is also a
first-term Republican congressmen decided to resign from his position after
being convicted of drug possession charges. I don't think he intended to step down from
power because the article stated that he went around those types of questions. Representative Trey Radel did apologize to
his Republican party collogues in a closed door meeting, but they suggested
that he resign.
After reading "The Discourse of Adversaries" I
thought that Representative Trey Radel's issue was a perfect example for the
article. From the reading I got that
political parties are always hostile to each other, "...because each side
operates out of a fundamentally different conception of moral authority,
because each side employs a markedly different kind of moral logic, neither
side will ever be able to persuade the other of the superiority of its own
claims" (Hunter 136). So since each
political party are committed to their ideals, they reject their opposing
party's ideas. Representative Trey
Radel's situation looks bad for the Republican party, especially in a hostile
political atmosphere between the Democratic and Republican parties. I suggest that the Republican party asked or
made Representative Trey Radel step down in order to save their reputation
because I think that in politics opposing parties will find anything to make
the other party and what they stand for look bad.
Excellent point! This linkage to the class reading is great!! The Republican Party, as a whole, looks bad because of the behavior of this man. Nice work!
ReplyDelete