Entertainment News - House Of Cards Season 2 Released On Netflix
Even though it's not exactly the most important current event, for me being in the entertainment industry, it is much more important.
The reason this is big news for me, is because I am not only a fan of the show, but the impact Netflix has on the market and economy is huge. If you asked me, I would say that Netflix is one of the most industry disruptive innovations that has ever occurred outside of the internet and the digitization of the music industry. A corporation such as this has a huge influence on mass media, and in turn, current events and public policy. There is another important reason aside from that, it's also that I think House of Cards is a great representation of back door dealings, political rhetoric, and how things can be played, dealt, and manipulated within the government.
While a lot of dramatization occurs, I think the display of power and strategy that takes place in the life of the main character Frank, can teach us a lot about how intentional and malleable policy, legislation, and political decisions are. I would also take in to consideration that the writer of the show has a phenomenal resume of adviser, press-related, corporate, and government posts which to me make him a legitimate source for writing a show providing both a view of the light and dark side of political inner-workings. In the show, political strategy and rhetoric are both enacted consistently. Power-plays are a frequent feature of the show, and Frank's communications between executives and White House influencers and policymakers are quite strategic. Due to Frank's obsession with power, he communicates with story breakers, news sources, corporate entities, and many other influential agencies, displaying his command of rhetoric. I would highly recommend anyone interested in politics or this class to check this show out.
I've heard many positive things about the show! Talk a little more about how the show directly relates to some of the readings.
ReplyDelete