Saturday, May 3, 2014
American Idiot by Green Day
If you are a fellow listener of 98.7 on the radio like myself, you will have heard this song a thousand times over. To be honest, it was not until fairly recently that I knew that this song carried a political statement! At the time of its release in 2004, President Bush had just been re-elected as president, and this song was a response to it. Within the song, one will find phrases such as "don't wanna be an American idiot" and "Well maybe I'm the faggot America. I'm not a part of a redneck agenda." Of course, through these lyrics Green day is talking about President Bush's conservative policies and how the nation is controlled by the new, biased media. This song entered the public sphere and took off immediately, as it won two Grammy awards and is still very popular to this day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment