Saturday, April 5, 2014

Viral Math HW

I bookmarked an article I had read last week that I thought would be interesting to blog about. A parent, who has a"Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronics Engineering, which included extensive study in differential equations and other higher math applications," responded to the difficult method that his/her kid was taught to solve a simple math problem. The assignment instructed students to explain how to use a number line to show a fictional character how to subtract 427-316. The parent answered the homework question and explaining how much easier is to subtract another way.

This Facebook post went viral as it created a discussion on whether the math strategies being taught have real world application. This ties into both the public and political sphere. Education is a very controversial subject because a lot of the debate has to do with funding, or lack thereof, and the budgets allocated to impoverished neighborhoods. The virility of the posts goes to show how important the internet can be in spreading awareness about public issues.

2 comments:

  1. Funding and public understanding and appreciation for education, particularly beginning levels, is abysmal. I have not seen the video you mention but it is not hard to find similar complaints on YouTube. At first glance it appears these programs are "sold" to school boards and educators like lotteries were "sold" to states over the last several decades. Corporations that profit from these programs do the selling. Must all costs and benefits be measured in dollars and nothing else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing this to the discussion. In my downtime, I also tutor children who have similar problems. At times, I know the answer to a question, but don't know how to get there based on the specific directions they've learned. I like that the parent chose to respond this way and I hope these types of discussion continue. It's hard to expect a child to do something when an adult has trouble with it, even if they know the answer. At the same time, children have different learning styles and could benefit from having multiple approaches. Great article!

    ReplyDelete