Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Beyonce

Beyoncé Must Have Her Feminist Cake and Eat It Too

This article by Ellie Slee talks about what an important figure Beyoncé is to the feminist community, but her song "Drunk in Love" has really made her seem like a hypocrite. Why? Because Jay Z's lyric "eat the cake, Anna Mae" refers to Tina Turner's abusive husband Ike, forcing her to eat a piece of cake. The lyric has a strong relation to domestic violence, and was actually blurred out in the UK, because they didn't want to promote violence against women. So, when Beyoncé sang the lyrics along side her husband Jay Z at the Grammys, a big up-roar came.

So why is this even important? Feminism is still a big political issue, women have progressed but I would argue that they are far from being complete and total equals. In the past years though, there has been a big clime of women making it to powerful positions, but is it enough? I have heard a lot of people (from professors to friends) say that the millennial's have a big task to do with how feminism will look, and they have a fear we won't let it progress. The main reason is because of situations like this, a popular and loved figure is forgiven by the public and not held accountable. I want to make it clear that I really love Beyoncé, but at the same time I recognize her errors and she should apologize (I mean she has stated that Tina Turner is one of her Idols).

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent point! If we have time, I'd like to talk about this a little more some time this week! While I know the lyrics weren't written with the intent to offend, to me, that doesn't matter. I'd like to hear what Beyonce has to say on this criticism!

    ReplyDelete